New 3D printer tech demo model

Costume making, prop building and other '66 Bat-related arts and crafts.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Forum rules
Costume making, prop building and other '66 Bat-related arts and crafts. Great place for info and helpful tips. Proudly display your latest creation. Please keep it '66 Batman related otherwise it will be moved to OFF-TOPIC.

(NO SOLICITATION). If you're looking to BUY or SELL something, go to the MERCHANDISE SECTION. Even if you're trying to assemble a costume by buying or acquiring different crafted items rather than constructing or customizing them yourself, then it belongs in the MERCHANDISE SECTION. Don't even ask somebody if they're planning on selling something within this section.

Be sure to read the Board Rules as well before posting for the first time.

Thank you!
rsaffle

New 3D printer tech demo model

Post by rsaffle »

I bought a new Bambu Lab 3D printer that is crazy nice. Its sooo fast and the new technology has made printing accessible to everyone. It levels itself, chooses the temperatures and even changes the filament colors out. It prints objects in a 1/4 of the time it took before, and it has made my other 3 printers into paperweights. I printed this bust last night to test it out. There is hardly any cleanup needed and the layer lines are about gone.
I can watch it print and control it from my cell phone. I have had many nights of waking up and going downstairs to check on a print. LOL

Most of this type of prints with this much detail you see are done on a different kind of printer using resin and have a learning curve and work to make them, but I can do detail like this on my FDM printer in PLA now. I could also print in nylon, Carbon Fiber and multiple other materials if wanted. If you have been waiting to try out 3D printers, this is the one to get for sure. Almost as easy to use as sending something to a color paper printer. Mine was $1000 but that was for the 4-color changer too. Base model is $600 but there are smaller and cheaper Bambu's that have all of the features too.

The bust print needs very little cleanup but look at the detail of the mask away from the nose.... crazy! The cleanup comes from the removal of the supports that attach themselves for printing a model overhang. They make a filament for just the supports that will disolve away in water but I haven't tried that yet. The printer also knows where and how to add those supports automatically.

I designed and printed a Chief O'hara hat badge that I will show off at a later date, but it printed in a eye popping 12 minutes! I watched it form.
Just thought I would share. :x

This new printer has removed some of my barriers I had in wanting to sell some of these items too, so I am open to those possibilities now. Pretty sure you will all want what's on my printer right now when I show that off soon.

-R
Attachments
Resized_20240105_084823.jpg
Resized_20240105_094232.jpg
Resized_20240105_082443.jpg
*See more 3D printed props @ https://www.instagram.com/saffledesigns/
BiffPow

Re: New 3D printer tech demo model

Post by BiffPow »

😳😃 WOW!!!!

That’s impressive!

Do you sell your files? I know nothing about 3-D printing, but your work is so inspiring!
rsaffle

Post by rsaffle »

BiffPow wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 11:22 am 😳😃 WOW!!!!

That’s impressive!

Do you sell your files? I know nothing about 3-D printing, but your work is so inspiring!
I appreciate that BiffPow. I draw so much inspiration from you and the other guys on this forum. Working on these props and then just holding my creations brings me so much enjoyment. I have always hesitated to sell, and I have only been doing them for the enjoyment so far. Also, I don't want to break any forum rules, but feel free to PM me if you are interested in something. I am planning on creating some stuff very soon to start selling, but I will keep that off here as much as possible. I have been concentrating on BM 66 props for some time now and have around 90 designs! :lol:

This Batman bust was not designed by me, but the file is for sell online. There are literally thousands of Batman files out there. Some free and some cost. This site called Cults 3D is one of the locations you can find stuff. The Batman search shows 6 thousand files labeled Batman. :D
A search on sites like Etsy or Ebay will also find people printing this kind of stuff too.

https://cults3d.com/en/3d-model/art/b3d ... r-printing

I will help you learn how to print or even create files if you are interested in that my friend. There are tons of 3D printers but this Bambu Lab printer is the next wave and way easiest to use.
Scott Sebring
Site Admin

Post by Scott Sebring »

That's amazing!
BiffPow

Post by BiffPow »

Thanks, Randy! I will look into that printer. Your recommendation is a powerful one, given your expertise. I have looked at a few but gave up as I didn’t know what to look for, and was just lost reading reviews.

If/when I invest in one, will let you know. If you DO decide to sell, there will be interested buyers, and not just from me.
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

Amazing, I've been close to jumping on the 3D boat but I literally have zero free time and a stack of items I've committed to when I have time. But this is beautiful!
Jimmy L. 66

Post by Jimmy L. 66 »

Amazing, Randy! I am excited to see what delightful designs await us.
rsaffle

Post by rsaffle »

AndyFish wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 7:59 pm Amazing, I've been close to jumping on the 3D boat but I literally have zero free time and a stack of items I've committed to when I have time. But this is beautiful!
Andy this is the printer to get them done if they are not huge prints but I do agree you have to have time to paint and finish the stuff off that you probably want to print. Mine prints in color but not in a painted finish manner, more in a trinket manner.

Tons of fun stuff to print but a collectable type will require some modeling and painting skills.
JiminyD

Post by JiminyD »

Thanks for this information! Also what's the story on that mini comics rack?
Lou Szabo

Post by Lou Szabo »

Fantastic Randy. A lot of people talk about 3D printers, but for noobs like me, this is a great review of a named 3D printer.
Some days you just can't get rid of a ... SHARK!
rsaffle

Post by rsaffle »

JiminyD wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 5:04 pm Thanks for this information! Also what's the story on that mini comics rack?
Hello JiminyD. I designed and 3D printed that rack and comic book storage box. I made the mini comic books with some random interior pages with different covers and one staple. Probably my favorite thing I’ve made, sits next to my work desk and I create new books and rotate them out. I added a miniature Slurpee cup to sit on it too. Reminds me of all those trips to the store to buy comics as a kid.
rsaffle

Post by rsaffle »

Lou Szabo wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 6:34 pm Fantastic Randy. A lot of people talk about 3D printers, but for noobs like me, this is a great review of a named 3D printer.
Lou you would be one of the guys that I would think could have tons of fun with a printer.
I said above, I would be willing to help anyone learn about them and all of the pros and cons.
JiminyD

Post by JiminyD »

rsaffle wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 9:02 pm
JiminyD wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 5:04 pm Thanks for this information! Also what's the story on that mini comics rack?
Hello JiminyD. I designed and 3D printed that rack and comic book storage box. I made the mini comic books with some random interior pages with different covers and one staple. Probably my favorite thing I’ve made, sits next to my work desk and I create new books and rotate them out. I added a miniature Slurpee cup to sit on it too. Reminds me of all those trips to the store to buy comics as a kid.
I love this! I have a full size one, I would love to have a mini counterpart. Let me know if you ever make these for sale!
JiminyD

Post by JiminyD »

rsaffle wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 9:02 pm
I love this! I have a full size one, I would love to have a mini counterpart. Let me know if you ever make these for sale!
JiminyD

Post by JiminyD »

sorry for double post, not sure what happened there