Utility Belt observations

Costume making, prop building and other '66 Bat-related arts and crafts.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Forum rules
Costume making, prop building and other '66 Bat-related arts and crafts. Great place for info and helpful tips. Proudly display your latest creation. Please keep it '66 Batman related otherwise it will be moved to OFF-TOPIC.

(NO SOLICITATION). If you're looking to BUY or SELL something, go to the MERCHANDISE SECTION. Even if you're trying to assemble a costume by buying or acquiring different crafted items rather than constructing or customizing them yourself, then it belongs in the MERCHANDISE SECTION. Don't even ask somebody if they're planning on selling something within this section.

Be sure to read the Board Rules as well before posting for the first time.

Thank you!
Chuck Williams

Utility Belt observations

Post by Chuck Williams »

Hi All,

Like a lot of you I've been obsessing over the items in the Greg Jein auction and followed one item down the 'ol rabbit hole.

This utility belt buckle has some unique details that may possibly make it the first one made for the show.

I've learned that the catch is from an existing military buckle that was readily available from a couple of manufacturers and "almost" every bat-buckle made for the show followed this basic design going forward.
Like the Batgirl buckle they just attached the cosmetic buckle to a working one which is one of the reasons that makes me think it was the first.
The details in the design also make me think it was the first.

This buckle was used in the publicity stills of the Mr. Freeze episode (but not IN the episode) and the bat details, attachments and catch on the buckle always caught my attention.
It was used also for a standard buckle in the first Penguin episode and then as the huge working box belt through the first season. You can just make out the darker (hand drawn?) details in the screen caps.

Looks like the catch/receiver broke and was repaired along the way.

Fun new things to think about!
Attachments
Screenshot 2023-09-10 161149.jpg
lf (12).jpg
Bat-Buckle Type Catch.jpg
Batman S01E04 - The Penguin's a Jinx - 3914.jpg
Batman S01E24 - Give 'Em the Axe - 2520.jpg
Freeze Belt.jpg
Quick, Everyone, Flee for your lives, into the street!!!!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/WilliamsStudio ... eller_info
Batfanman

Re: Utility Belt observations

Post by Batfanman »

Interesting! Unless my eyes deceive me, did they outline actual bat-features on the buckle?
Every Day Is BATMAN DAY!
Visit & Like - https://www.facebook.com/batfanman66
BiffPow

Post by BiffPow »

The bat features look engraved into the metal, to me.
Chuck Williams

Post by Chuck Williams »

Yes, they were going for a much more detailed "Bat" in the engraving.
The sillouette seems to be the same but the batwing details are carved and also (I believe) drawn in.
They probably saw the buckle in dailies and decided it wasn't worth the trouble.
Another reason I feel it may have been the first completed buckle.

Lou Szabo

Post by Lou Szabo »

Nice catch! It does look a bit like the 194x Bats used in the chapter cards?
Some days you just can't get rid of a ... SHARK!
BiffPow

Post by BiffPow »

Yes, it does, Lou!
Chuck Williams

Post by Chuck Williams »

Like all the Bat logos from wardrobe, it seems Mr. Kemp was free to make what ever he wanted.

The bat shape is the same as all the others but the ribs of the wings are defined in the engraving rather than the random engraved field inside the bat.
They also did some drawing on it which you can see they did on this buckle.See attached.

This one also looks like they tried to acid etched or paint the bat instead of engraving. Maybe it was one of the Mr. Freeze episode belts. I have no clue.

I think they wanted a "hero" belt with more detail and put a lot of time and effort into this one but it just doesnt read well enough on screen for the amount of work it took.
That or this was the first buckle they made and after seeing that it didn't read well , simplified the later builds.

The key thing is that no other belt has this attachment system on the buckle, but most are inspired by the hook and catch of this vintage buckle.
Attachments
img312.jpgb.jpg

Lou Szabo

Post by Lou Szabo »

That belt buckle with the detailed Bat would be a nice item to have in the new Williams store, and I’d be willing to but the first one ;)
BiffPow

Post by BiffPow »

As this was an early, likely the first, utility belt buckle, I wondered if it was the same buckle used in the audition costumes. I reviewed the audition video as best I could, but the bat on those buckles looks flat/etched and not detailed.
Chuck Williams

Post by Chuck Williams »

BiffPow wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 6:27 am As this was an early, likely the first, utility belt buckle, I wondered if it was the same buckle used in the audition costumes. I reviewed the audition video as best I could, but the bat on those buckles looks flat/etched and not detailed.
Agreed... The spacing of the pinstripe looks good though. ;)

The details could have been added over the top to spice it up.
The standard etching is not super deep so it would not be hard to punch in more detail.

Man I wish I could time travel!! LOL!
Attachments
AWScreenTestSuit (1).jpg

BiffPow

Post by BiffPow »

That makes sense. Adding the little extra details after the actors, costumes and sets were about ready for production.
Lou Szabo

Post by Lou Szabo »

Thank goodness they got rid of the “devil horns” on that cowl
BiffPow

Post by BiffPow »

Lou Szabo wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 8:41 pm Thank goodness they got rid of the “devil horns” on that cowl
👍

“Who is that Badman, coming out of his cave with devilish technology, running around with his underwear showing in his tighty-tights, hiding his identity? Oh, look, are those little horns?

Whoooo could it be? Oh, I don’t know, hmmmm. Could it be…
Lou Szabo

Post by Lou Szabo »

BiffPow

Post by BiffPow »

👍🤣 I modified my initial post so that you supply the answer, Lou. Plays better that way!