SDCC 2023

'66 Batman oriented TV and Movie Appearances, Conventions, etc.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

BiffPow

Re: SDCC 2023

Post by BiffPow »

SprangFan wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 12:19 pm NECA's take on some 1:1 scale show props:

😳 “Coming soon”!??
BatmiteReturns

Post by BatmiteReturns »

If that is the George Reeves Superman They got the logo wrong
rsaffle

Post by rsaffle »

I'm so happy that we keep getting new 66 stuff! Keep them coming!
*See more 3D printed props @ https://www.instagram.com/saffledesigns/
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

BatToys wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 7:47 am Maybe McFarlane will show the 1966 Batman robot and a 7-in Batman and George Reeves from the Flash cameo? Andy can you please ask McFarlane booth if they are going to make George Reeves Superman?
It's an unofficial George Reeves as portrayed by Mike Allred's drawings version.
The Batrobot is straight from the comics, and I'm excited for Lord Death Man, one of my favorite characters!
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

BatToys wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 7:47 am Maybe McFarlane will show the 1966 Batman robot and a 7-in Batman and George Reeves from the Flash cameo? Andy can you please ask McFarlane booth if they are going to make George Reeves Superman?
It's an unofficial George Reeves as portrayed by Mike Allred's drawings version.
The Batrobot is straight from the comics, and I'm excited for Lord Death Man, one of my favorite characters!

Overall for a year when we thought there would be no new '66 Batman stuff I feel like we got some good things-- the Beast Kingdom 8" figures, the Neca Props, the McFarlane updates-- after 20+ years of going to SDCC it's amazing to me that we get ANYTHING-- so many years of not a bit of licensed stuff.
BatToys

Post by BatToys »

Thanks for the George Reeves update Andy!

I hope it will have the George Reeves cape that is Roman style the way it drapes in the back.

Do you think it will have the George style S? The image did not look like an actual production photograph but a computer generated image.

Would this be the first ever official George Reeves Superman action figure?
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

To give you some insight into the toy makers today;

"Who is George Reeves? You mean Christopher Reeves." was the response.
I'm sure Todd knows who George is, to be fair some part time booth person is not likely to have much depth of knowledge, especially when they look fresh out of college.
BiffPow

Post by BiffPow »

AndyFish wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 6:51 am To give you some insight into the toy makers today;

"Who is George Reeves? You mean Christopher Reeves." was the response.
I'm sure Todd knows who George is, to be fair some part time booth person is not likely to have much depth of knowledge, especially when they look fresh out of college.
I’m not sure if I should 🤣 , 🤦🏻‍♂️, 😥 or 😱.

I’ll just shake my head and do a Lurch groan.
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

I didn't even react. Nor did I correct them that it's Christopher Reeve.
It is what it is. If the Mike Allred Superman looked like George then that's what is being made.
But it's not official.
BatToys

Post by BatToys »

AndyFish wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 1:42 pm I didn't even react. Nor did I correct them that it's Christopher Reeve.
It is what it is. If the Mike Allred Superman looked like George then that's what is being made.
But it's not official.
I think Mike Allred only drew the George Reeves Clark Kent in the '66 Batman comic. Alex Ross painted the George Reeves Superman flying above the Adam West Batmobile but I don't think it was a published cover.

For me this was the best news out of SDCC. Since it's a computer render I hope that means McFarlane Toys have more time to refine it to look more like George Reeves.

Since George Reeves appeared in the Flash movie, that means WB secured the likeness rights and would have been savvy enough to secure the toy rights.
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

Did Superman even appear in the Batman '66 comic? I stopped reading it after the first issue.
I get that McFarlane doing a figure means there is some kind of tie in- but I just searched online and I can't find any pics and in reading the summary of the issues there is no mention of Superman.
BatToys

Post by BatToys »

AndyFish wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 2:12 pm Did Superman even appear in the Batman '66 comic? I stopped reading it after the first issue.
I get that McFarlane doing a figure means there is some kind of tie in- but I just searched online and I can't find any pics and in reading the summary of the issues there is no mention of Superman.
Mike Allred drew the George Reeves Clark Kent in the '66 Batman comic. Alex Ross painted the George Reeves Superman flying over the Adam West Batmobile but I don't think it was ever used for a published cover.

Since George Reeves appeared in The Flash movie that means WB secured the likeness rights and toy rights.

For me the best thing about SDCC was the announcement of a George Reeves Superman action figure even if unofficial. They showed a computer render so I hope that means they will do work on the S to be more like the TV show, the cape, and the face sculpt.

My guess in the next wave the Lynda Carter '66 Wonder Woman would be next since she did appear in the '66 Batman comic.
SprangFan

Post by SprangFan »

I can't find any images of George Reeves' Superman drawn by Mike Allred. There's plenty of Allred Superman images, including his latest "Superman: The Space Age" mini-series, but no Reeves.

So is the MacFarlane toy contract written in such a way that they're limited to interpretations of "66 Batman as drawn by Mike Allred for DC Comics"? That would be an interesting twist. If so, maybe this image means there's a comics project coming up that will team Adam's Batman with George's Superman (just as we've already seen team-ups with Steed and Emma, Napoleon Solo and Archie). If such a book were to hit the stands, it'd be the first "floppy" I've bought in about 20 years.

I agree we are long, long overdue for an official George Reeves action figure. In fact, 72 years is almost certainly a record for this sort of thing. The only one I've waited longer for is an official figure of Errol Flynn as Robin Hood (85 years).
"You were right again, Batman. We might have been killed."
"Or worse. Let's go..."
BiffPow

Post by BiffPow »

Imagine those who don’t know who George Reeves was being asked about Errol Flynn.

I’m disappointed by the sheer number of people under 30 who don’t know who the Beatles are/were or, if they’ve “heard of them,” can’t even name one song.
BiffPow

Post by BiffPow »

Some customizers in Quezon City, Philippines under the name “UnleashedViper” have been making unofficial George Reeves 1:6 scale Superman figures. That’s about the best work I have seen on that.
Attachments
2DA66246-CC28-4ED7-9D5E-9A5D8D602F7E.jpeg