McFarlane doing a 12 inch Adam West statue but the details are wrong

1966 TV show type Bat-Items found on eBay, Collectibles, etc.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Forum rules
You must read the MERCHANDISE RULES before participating here.
BatmiteReturns

McFarlane doing a 12 inch Adam West statue but the details are wrong

Post by BatmiteReturns »

Just came across this on Facebook. The costume looks like something Adam Moore at car shows in the 1980s.

Yellow Oval

Re: McFarlane doing a 12 inch Adam West statue but the details are wrong

Post by Yellow Oval »

The face seems a little off as the cheekbones seem heavier. Sort of looks more like Adam's Batman from NBC's 1979 Legends of the Superheroes than old TV series. The bat in the chest logo is too big and should be reduced to maybe half in size and the oval itself needs to be reduced in size slightly as well. The chest logo, even though the location is actually Batman accurate via the comics, is a little too high for Adam's costume. It should be lowered a bit as well (see BatmiteReturns' avatar picture).
"Hmmm... I don't like the twist this joke is taking. Let us away! Let us away!"
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

I like it enough to buy it- better than the figures he did or the Funko Batman's-- and honestly while it's "off" in my opinion it's improved. The cape being outside the cowl, it actually looks like an improved version of the LEGENDS Special, as if Adam was in better shape for it. I'd call it BATMAN '79
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

I had a lot of thoughts about this when it came across my feed earlier today.

1. Cool that McF are doing a 12" statue at all...

2. Some of my initial gripes are actually totally fixable - That cape will be detachable one way or another, so getting it over the cowl skirt would be more first easy mod for this statue.

3. I actually don't dislike the Adam likeness. It's definitely stylised and also remisicent of some of the comic book Adam West liknesses we've seen from different artists, Mr Fish included in that broad stroke category.

4. What throws this off for me most significantly is the cowl, as I said, I believe theres a viable likenes under there, but a repaint of that cowl shroud would go a long way to improving the "read" of this statue, especially at the 12" scale.

5. As always, context is king. This is not a Sideshow/Hot Toys offering at the end of the day and i'm guessing (fairly good auhthority) that the price point reflects this, and as such, the setiment that a few of us around these parts often offer definitely rings true here: On some level, I'm just glad to see more new '66 merch hitting the shelves over a decade after the initial license was offered.
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

Ben when I move into the White House as its 50th president I hope you'll be willing to join the team as my press liason. I could not have summed it up better.

For example- this particular statue has a better likeness, but it was a total pass for me.

Ben: Well written summary of what we're looking at.
Andy: Me like good.
BATWINGED HORNET

Post by BATWINGED HORNET »

Next to a completely inaccurate offering...AKA just another day at McFarlane.

As others noted, the cowl is way off. Adding to that, the face is puffyy (for whatever reason); It bears no resemblance to West, and there's no excuse for screwing up the design and size of the chest emblem. Then, there's the body, which is based on anyone other than West, whether it was the '66 form, or his convention circuit form in the 70s (not that the latter would ever be preferable).
Beneath Wayne Manor
Lou Szabo

Post by Lou Szabo »

Some days you just can't get rid of a ... SHARK!
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

More pics up with the BBTS listing.
I ordered it-- I like it well enough.
BiffPow

Post by BiffPow »

I dunno. I can’t look at the head sculpt and not see Geena Davis under the cowl.
Attachments
IMG_0839.jpeg
IMG_0840.jpeg
Hedji

Post by Hedji »

He looks mean and sinister. Is it the eyebrows?

This is the same scale as the Tweeterhead statues. I can’t remember their MSRP, but this seems priced in line with that.

That said, I feel like my Tweeterhead is better, so I won’t be ordering one. But happy for those who will.
Hedji

Post by Hedji »

I really like the look of the cape and the wrinkles in the tights. Well done on that!
BiffPow

Post by BiffPow »

Hedji wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 1:49 pm He looks mean and sinister. Is it the eyebrows?

This is the same scale as the Tweeterhead statues. I can’t remember their MSRP, but this seems priced in line with that.
Yes, it’s the way the eyebrows were painted. There are some talented people here who will likely repaint theirs.

Agree on the MSRP. For that money, why not just get the Saturn toys action figures, or maybe a loose HotToys?
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

Ha Geena Davis!! I love it!
It does look a trifle sinister-- which is how the pilot cowl (my all time favorite) came across to me.
I don't care if everyone hates it-- I'm all in. Looks like a combination of the Legends Show, the personal appearane costume and the pilot cowl-- with a little Geena Davis for good measure!
BiffPow

Post by BiffPow »

AndyFish wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 7:29 pm Ha Geena Davis!! I love it!
It does look a trifle sinister-- which is how the pilot cowl (my all time favorite) came across to me.
I don't care if everyone hates it-- I'm all in. Looks like a combination of the Legends Show, the personal appearane costume and the pilot cowl-- with a little Geena Davis for good measure!
🤣👍