Catwoman pistol question

1966 TV show type Bat-Items found on eBay, Collectibles, etc.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Forum rules
You must read the MERCHANDISE RULES before participating here.
Chuck Williams

Catwoman pistol question

Post by Chuck Williams »

Hi All,

This has been on my mind for ages and I'd like to know your thoughts...

I have the base dart gun for the Catwoman pistol and I want to wrap it up but the lioness sculpture of the original is very rough and unappealing to me.

If we made this, would you want to see a slightly more refined lioness or do you think I should stick with something that could pass as an original, warts and all?

I welcome any opinions!!!
Chuck...
Quick, Everyone, Flee for your lives, into the street!!!!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/WilliamsStudio ... eller_info
Scott Sebring
Site Admin

Re: Catwoman pistol question

Post by Scott Sebring »

I would prefer a more refined version but not losing some of the quirkiness of the sculpted look. I wouldn't want a too symmetrical cat or even a too refined cat head logo on the handle. Certainly not something that looks constructed from a CAD program.

Just so people realize how rough was the original. (click to zoom in)
Julie Newmar Catwoman Hero Cat Gun Prop Pistol A.jpg
Julie Newmar Catwoman Hero Cat Gun Prop Pistol B.jpg
Julie Newmar Catwoman Hero Cat Gun Prop Pistol C.jpg
Chuck Williams

Post by Chuck Williams »

Gotcha!

Excellent point regarding a slick computer generated look!
Quick, Everyone, Flee for your lives, into the street!!!!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/WilliamsStudio ... eller_info
rsaffle

Post by rsaffle »

It's cool you are thinking about this prop. I'm 90% done with my version that I'm attempting to make look as close as possible, but I left out the plastic gun seams and such. It's awesome that we have these great photos available now that make it possible to be pretty accurate.

I would always prefer a version that looks as close to the original prop as possible, but without all the tape and toy give aways and I agree with Scott that the "sculpt look" of the cat should remain. I also love the hand looking etched cat on the handle.

Bonus points if it shoots the dart. LOL
*See more 3D printed props @ https://www.instagram.com/saffledesigns/
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

Yikes that original is rough. I like it though.
Jimmy L. 66

Post by Jimmy L. 66 »

Scott Sebring wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 6:07 am I would prefer a more refined version but not losing some of the quirkiness of the sculpted look. I wouldn't want a too symmetrical cat or even a too refined cat head logo on the handle. Certainly not something that looks constructed from a CAD program.
I agree. Cleaned up, by no means perfect. Part of the allure is the “hand made” feel to the props.
BiffPow

Post by BiffPow »

I am just amazed that they thought to use the tail of the cat to wrap all the way around the handle and serve as the trigger guard. Who would’ve seen a detail like that on the small screen back in 1966, or even the big screen now? Pretty clever.
BATWINGED HORNET

Post by BATWINGED HORNET »

Before the construction of a prop replica, I guess one must ask himself if he's trying to replicate a 50+ year old item as it appears today (i.e. aged and/or damaged), or is the goal to make it appear as the TV production wanted to sell to TV audiences? Personally, I feel the latter would be the goal, as its the way audiences perceived it on screen.
Beneath Wayne Manor
BiffPow

Post by BiffPow »

BATWINGED HORNET wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 2:29 pm Before the construction of a prop replica, I guess one must ask himself if he's trying to replicate a 50+ year old item as it appears today (i.e. aged and/or damaged), or is the goal to make it appear as the TV production wanted to sell to TV audiences? Personally, I feel the latter would be the goal, as its the way audiences perceived it on screen.
Makes sense.
Jim Akin

Post by Jim Akin »

BiffPow wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 1:42 pm I am just amazed that they thought to use the tail of the cat to wrap all the way around the handle and serve as the trigger guard. Who would’ve seen a detail like that on the small screen back in 1966, or even the big screen now? Pretty clever.
That is an incredible detail, and one I hadn't noticed before.

The metal(?) strip screwed to the side of the pistol doesn't seem decorative, nor does it look like a repair (which presumably would have necessitated screws on both ends, not two on the same end). It looks like it might function as a leaf spring. Might it be the actual "trigger" that releases the dart?
rsaffle

Post by rsaffle »

Jim Akin wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 9:08 am
BiffPow wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 1:42 pm I am just amazed that they thought to use the tail of the cat to wrap all the way around the handle and serve as the trigger guard. Who would’ve seen a detail like that on the small screen back in 1966, or even the big screen now? Pretty clever.
That is an incredible detail, and one I hadn't noticed before.

The metal(?) strip screwed to the side of the pistol doesn't seem decorative, nor does it look like a repair (which presumably would have necessitated screws on both ends, not two on the same end). It looks like it might function as a leaf spring. Might it be the actual "trigger" that releases the dart?
Thats the belt clip.
*See more 3D printed props @ https://www.instagram.com/saffledesigns/
Jim Akin

Post by Jim Akin »

rsaffle wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 10:47 am Thats the belt clip.
Thanks, Randy!