Who is in the Bat-suit?

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

A. Pennyworth

Who is in the Bat-suit?

Post by A. Pennyworth »

I assume this was a 1966 Batman movie premier event with Lee Meriwether but who is in the Batman suit in the #1 Batmobile? Hubie Kerns? Someone else?
Attachments
moviePremierNotAdam copy.jpg
AndyFish

Re: Who is in the Bat-suit?

Post by AndyFish »

Great question!
We can assume this is the BATMAN 1966 Movie World premiere which was held in Austin Texas (home to where the Batboat was built) on July 30, 1966.

The movie premiered at the Paramount

And most of the cast was listed as appearing-- Adam appeared in costume;

So if Adam appeared in Costume, would they have sent a double (and an extra suit-- it was a very hot and humid day as the photo shows and the newspaper states).

Could the first photo of Lee (my favorite Catwoman) happen to be with Adam? It sure doesn't look like him, but who knows?

Let's see what other folks think.
BiffPow

Post by BiffPow »

Looks to me like Hubie.
Attachments
IMG_9133.jpeg
IMG_9132.jpeg
Batfanman

Post by Batfanman »

It was me! :)
Attachments
BFM - MCC 2017 crop.jpg
Every Day Is BATMAN DAY!
Visit & Like - https://www.facebook.com/batfanman66
BiffPow

Post by BiffPow »

Batfanman wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 4:33 pmIt was me! :)
😎
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

Great shots AP! I do believe that's Hubie, but I don't think this is Austin, as to my knowledge that event took place during the daylight hours, Adam was in attendance in costume and also, perhaps more importantly the Batmobile was not present in Texas for the premiere.

I need to do some more digging, but i'm thinking that this was most likely an LA event that Adam was unable to attend perhaps.

A. Pennyworth

Post by A. Pennyworth »

In the Jean Boone interview with cast in Austin, William Dozier states the movie will open August 24 in NY, the 26th in Chicago and the 31st in LA
rsaffle

Post by rsaffle »

Ben Bentley wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 7:22 pm Great shots AP! I do believe that's Hubie, but I don't think this is Austin, as to my knowledge that event took place during the daylight hours, Adam was in attendance in costume and also, perhaps more importantly the Batmobile was not present in Texas for the premiere.

I need to. do some more digging, but i'm thinking that this was most likely an LA event that Adam was unable to attend perhaps.
The top shot with the Batmobile was the Hollywood opening. You can see the Pharmacy sign on the left and the Batmobile.
The marquee says Lee Meriweather here and the Batmobile with no mention of Adam.
Attachments
Iris ..jpg
Iris Theatre 1966 Premiere of Batman 6265 Hollywood Blvd..jpg
*See more 3D printed props @ https://www.instagram.com/saffledesigns/
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

You beat me to it-- you tracked down the Pharmacy which was the biggest clue.
The Austin premiere had two events that day-- one for the kiddies and one for the adults. Austin featured Adam, Burt, Lee, Cesar and Burgess, but they each arrived in a different colored convertible-- looked to be Lincolns to me.
A. Pennyworth

Post by A. Pennyworth »

Great photo find Randy! and confirming the LA visit as Ben thought. Now why was Adam not there?

I found this, (has this been shown before?)

Interesting, A local NY paper article about Adam West and his visit for the NY Batman Movie premier. This article was written on 8/31/66 the day of the L.A. premier where Adam was not present. While in Bellmore NY (the Thursday before the 25th), it states 3,000 fans crowded his bus and he did not stop for an appearance there in Bellmore. It states early that day, 3 outfits were torn while he was touring other stops in NY. Maybe for security reasons it was decided that Adam should not continue with these appearances and did not show up for the LA premier? Just a guess?
AWestinNY.jpg
AWestinNY2.jpg

full newspaper here
https://nyshistoricnewspapers.org/?a=d& ... ----------
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

rsaffle wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 8:22 pm
Ben Bentley wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 7:22 pm Great shots AP! I do believe that's Hubie, but I don't think this is Austin, as to my knowledge that event took place during the daylight hours, Adam was in attendance in costume and also, perhaps more importantly the Batmobile was not present in Texas for the premiere.

I need to. do some more digging, but i'm thinking that this was most likely an LA event that Adam was unable to attend perhaps.
The top shot with the Batmobile was the Hollywood opening. You can see the Pharmacy sign on the left and the Batmobile.
The marquee says Lee Meriweather here and the Batmobile with no mention of Adam.
There we go, thanks Randy!

Loving this thread and our collective detective work btw!
Chuck Williams

Post by Chuck Williams »

In case I haven't said it today, I love this board!
Quick, Everyone, Flee for your lives, into the street!!!!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/WilliamsStudio ... eller_info
West Fan

Post by West Fan »

AndyFish wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:24 pm You beat me to it-- you tracked down the Pharmacy which was the biggest clue.
The Austin premiere had two events that day-- one for the kiddies and one for the adults. Austin featured Adam, Burt, Lee, Cesar and Burgess, but they each arrived in a different colored convertible-- looked to be Lincolns to me.
Burt wasn't in Austin as he stayed back due to the birth of his daughter Lisa.
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

I didn't think he was, since there's no footage of his arriving at the theater but there is for the other four. I'm assuming the newspaper article I read was written by the PR department before the event.

I wonder if Adam wasn't at the Hollywood opening because of the New York opening? Same night?
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

AndyFish wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:03 pm I wonder if Adam wasn't at the Hollywood opening because of the New York opening? Same night?
This crossed my mind, so I went digging for dates. Here's an excerpt of a letter from Dozier to Burgess, dated July 13th, 1966.
Dozier-Meredith-07.13.66.png