"Screen Used" Pengy Sub and Costume items back on the Auction Block

1966 TV show type Bat-Items found on eBay, Collectibles, etc.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Forum rules
You must read the MERCHANDISE RULES before participating here.
Ben Bentley

"Screen Used" Pengy Sub and Costume items back on the Auction Block

Post by Ben Bentley »

So it appears there was more than one screen used Penguin Submarine from the feature film and one of them is back up on the auction block. It looks like the one owned '66 Batman super-collector Stewart, is staying put in New Jersey.

Our pal Dan Greenfield over at 13th Dimension has all of the details and some wonderful photos as always:
https://13thdimension.com/1966-batman-m ... r-auction/

The same auction also appears to have a few other '66 Bat-Items including multiple Robin vests...
https://entertainment.ha.com/itm/movie- ... ail-071515

The second tunic's description smells worse than a bag of Canine Crusader dog-chow left out in the sun...

According to it's listing:
"Worn by actor Burt Ward in his portrayal of Batman's ever-faithful sidekick, Robin. As with all costume pieces made for Adam West and Burt Ward during production, these suits started life as hero costume pieces, and were later demoted due to wear or assigned as needed to be used by the various stunt performers. Exhibits general production wear."
Ignoring the "R" patch - the material, pattern and number of eyelets are not even in the ballpark of the screen used versions that I have personally seen. But i'll wait for Chuck to potentially tag in on this discussion...
https://entertainment.ha.com/itm/movie- ... ail-071515

Chuck Williams

Re: "Screen Used" Pengy Sub and Costume items back on the Auction Block

Post by Chuck Williams »

Hhmmmm, I'd really like one of those vests... but the other is probably a Western Costume rental.

The cape with the good vest is probably a rental as well.

This is , I think, the fourth vest and third cape ,I've seen like this.

The second sub is puzzling. The colors on both subs look good as do the details. A mystery worthy of Scooby-Doo!
Quick, Everyone, Flee for your lives, into the street!!!!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/WilliamsStudio ... eller_info
A. Pennyworth

Post by A. Pennyworth »

These subs are very confusing? Here are comparisons images from the upcoming 2/24 auction and the current NJ model, and one of the 2018/3/24/NJ model.
Paint can always be changed, altered, filled in, but notice in the 3/24 auction photos the yellow paint loss defects forwards of the eyes on both sides seem to match exactly filled in yellow defects on the current NJ model? (You may have to save images and zoom in to see it in detail) These defects would be very unique to a model, so are these the same? Is the current HA auction photo current? Did the NJ model get "restored" a bit? Another difference is the sweep length of the black of the "chin" area, on the auction photos this sweep goes behind the eyes and thins out, on the NJ model, it stops abruptly before passing the eyeball.
I really can't figure this out?
Attachments
auctions.jpg
2024current.jpg
Scott Sebring
Site Admin

Post by Scott Sebring »

Here are some screen grabs from the movie for those playing at home.
Batman (1966) - 03722.jpg
That chin sweep AP mentioned stops abruptly in this close up. This seems more like the NJ model at first glance although the HA one might look similar from the same angle.

Some more for reference.
Batman (1966) - 04587.jpg
Batman (1966) - 04821.jpg
Batman (1966) - 15303.jpg
A. Pennyworth

Post by A. Pennyworth »

Same, or different?
Attachments
eyepaint.jpg
Chuck Williams

Post by Chuck Williams »

Just confirmed it's not Stewart's. He's not surprised that there was a second one made for filming as a back up.
Looking at AP"s images it makes me think that one has working torpedo's and the other is static...
Quick, Everyone, Flee for your lives, into the street!!!!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/WilliamsStudio ... eller_info
Scott Sebring
Site Admin

Post by Scott Sebring »

Chuck Williams wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 10:31 am Looking at AP"s images it makes me think that one has working torpedo's and the other is static...
When I made the screen caps, I started to think the same thing.
A. Pennyworth

Post by A. Pennyworth »

Missing detail item on one of the Subs.

Looking at these again I noticed that the 2024 auction sub and these screen grabs they both are missing the half circle detail below the row of 6 dots on the bow end seen on only that one side. It is present on the other side on both subs. There is also a positional difference with the stern half circle on that side on both subs.
missingDetail.jpg
The other thing to look for is the 3 set of 6 dots, the 2018/NJ sub are identical in the position of the dots and their irregularity not all lined up horizontally in a row and not perfectly circles. The 2024 and screen grabs are also identical to each other, being perfect circles and all lined up horizontally. Again you may have to view these in max view maybe from the auction site to see the details I'm trying to point out.
sideviews.jpg
Have not found a screen grab that matches to the 2018 sub exactly yet!
BatToys

Post by BatToys »

Do you think they could be fakes?
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

BatToys wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 11:00 pm Do you think they could be fakes?
The Subs? No

Vest 1? Feels legit, but further scutiny and comparison images are needed to confirm.

Vest 2? Absolutely.