Robin boots - what a pain!

Costume making, prop building and other '66 Bat-related arts and crafts.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Forum rules
Costume making, prop building and other '66 Bat-related arts and crafts. Great place for info and helpful tips. Proudly display your latest creation. Please keep it '66 Batman related otherwise it will be moved to OFF-TOPIC.

(NO SOLICITATION). If you're looking to BUY or SELL something, go to the MERCHANDISE SECTION. Even if you're trying to assemble a costume by buying or acquiring different crafted items rather than constructing or customizing them yourself, then it belongs in the MERCHANDISE SECTION. Don't even ask somebody if they're planning on selling something within this section.

Be sure to read the Board Rules as well before posting for the first time.

Thank you!
rickrickrick

Robin boots - what a pain!

Post by rickrickrick »

Hello. Haven't been around much - life is a cruel taskmaster. But I thought I'd share this project.

My teenage daughter has taken an abrupt liking to the classic show, and decided she wanted a Burt Ward Robin costume for cons, etc! Needless to say, I whipped out Chuck and Lynne's patterns for the lion's share of the (ongoing) build, but had to deal with Robin's booties on my own.

What a pain in the butt! Such a weird shape. Not being a cobbler, crafting a custom pair of shoes from scratch was not an option, so I decided to build covers on top of shoes that fit her.

Honestly, it's one of the hardest costume crafts I've ever taken on!

I will spare you the boring details, and just share a few pix. I started by making prototypes from some cheap pink felt I had (holy contaminated cowl!) until I thought I had patterns that would work. The finished upper is made from faux suede fabric I inherited when a costume shop closed. The fins have a stiff leather core inside. Left is finished - now on to the right. Far from perfect, but hopefully will last through the rigors of a con or two. Cheers!

RRR
IMG_7855 copy.JPG
IMG_7861 copy.JPG
IMG_7860 copy.JPG
IMG_7859 copy.JPG
The most important thing in life is to be yourself. Unless you can be Batman. Always be Batman.
rsaffle

Re: Robin boots - what a pain!

Post by rsaffle »

So cool! I love when someone or something and, in this case, your daughter motivates and gives you the reason AND permission to tackle a project like this! Way to go dad.
*See more 3D printed props @ https://www.instagram.com/saffledesigns/
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

Kudos for sticking with the project, that definitely is not a simple task!
dell

Post by dell »

Nicely done.
dell
BiffPow

Post by BiffPow »

Impressive!
DrewMasie

Post by DrewMasie »

That looks great! Robin's boots are a weird design, but starting with shoes that fit her and then making covers for them is probably the best approach. Well done!
Yellow Oval

Post by Yellow Oval »

That was quite ingenious and ended up with a top-notch result. Very impressive!
"Hmmm... I don't like the twist this joke is taking. Let us away! Let us away!"
Jimmy L. 66

Post by Jimmy L. 66 »

These look great Rick. I used Vans and faux leather to make my boys Robin shoes, but the suede looks much better. Well done.